Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

08 January 2020

God's Plan

I was going to write about politics or some other useless topic, but when I sat down at the computer, I just couldn't work up the energy to take on any insignificant subject.  I mean, it all seems like just so much bullshit.  I've been feeling kind of "blah" lately.  The rediculous circus we call our government is getting to me.  Plus, it's been too cold and the days are too short for any meaningful motorcycle riding, and I obviously haven't been doing any flying.  Better days are coming, I know that.  And I can't wait.

I walked out of my house to go to work the other morning...okay, it was 11:59 but technically still "morning"…  The temperature (mid-60's) was very pleasant, the sky was bright blue, birds were chirping and I could hear flutes playing - you know, just a perfect day!  A day that made me glad I live in Florida and not Wisconsin.  And I thought to myself, "Isn't the world supposed to be ending right about now?"  But it did not - the world didn't end yesterday, and it probably won't end today.

I drove around in my little Uber, taking a variety of passengers here and there.  All of them were interesting to talk to.  I treasure those oh-so-brief interactions.  At the end of my "shift" (meaning a little after two p.m. when I decided to quit for the day), I realized that God has put me in the perfect job.  God, you say?  Yep, God, I say.

Those of us who believe in a Creator understand that everything happens because of God's plan.  And obviously, His plan for me was to be right here, right now, dispensing wisdom like Joe the Bartender, except without the alcohol and with better hours. But it's not just the (questionable) wisdom I dispense; I also benefit and grow from listening to the experiences of my passengers.

...Like the little old lady I picked up at a doctor's office yesterday who just celebrated her 84th birthday and is still going strong.  She told me she had six kids - five daughters and one son (coincidentally named Robert).  She has already buried two of her daughters, of which she was incredibly sad.  But her spirit was indomitable, as they say.  She loved her life, and was very happy.  And she gave all the credit for that to God.


I know that not everybody believes in God.  Skeptics argue: If God is responsible for all of the good things in my life, why do some many bad things happen?  

Fair question...and one I cannot answer.  But look, "bad things" happen to all of us, me included.  My life is not perfect - far from it!  But I do not let the bad things overwhelm me.  I keep them in perspective and push ahead in faith - the faith that God wants the best for me...and will provide it...if I just keep trusting His promises to us.  Scoff if you like.

I have had many "good breaks" in my life - many more than I can count.  You can call those coincidences or luck-of-the-draw or whatever.  I prefer to call them good fortune.  I know that they were gifts from God.  You might say, "Speaking of fortune, then why aren't you as rich as  Donald Trump?"  Well that's because I've never wanted to be.  I'm sure that if I were meant (destined?) to be that rich and powerful, then God would've put that desire...and drive...and capability into me.  But He did not.  I'm cool with that.  

"You can't always get what you want," sang the Rolling Stones way back in 1969.  
But if you try sometimes, you just might find
You just might find!
You get what you need  

Maybe not a parable of biblical profundity, but good enough.  You can get what you need.  But it won't come automatically.  You do have to try.  Have faith that God wants what's best for you.  Be thankful, be humble.  Stay positive - keep a "good spirit."  Don't let the bad stuff get you down.

My little old lady passenger said that she was tired.  She'd been up and about, doing stuff all morning (plus the doctor's appointment), and hadn't gotten much sleep the night before.  She'd been up late, looking for her social security card, which she simply could not find.  She needed to produce the original hard copy for something today.  Finally, she said a little prayer, and "God" told her exactly where to look.  It was there.  Maybe something just jogged her memory and she remembered where it was?  Who knows.  "I know people don't believe me when I tell them that God speaks to me," she said, "but He does."  

Who am I to argue?

5 comments:

Bob said...

Beautiful post, and so much better than politics. You and the 84-year-old lady were mutually encouraging to each other.

Kelly said...

Just what I needed to read at just the right time.

Bob Barbanes: said...

Thank you both!

I've often wondered if God puts people in my life for a reason, or if He puts me in other people's life for a reason? It seems egotistical to think it's the latter, and humbling to think the former - so I assume it's the former. Nevertheless, I'm always cognizant of who I'm talking to. I try to not "blow them off," especially if they're being disagreeable. I might not be my usual charming self, but I always try to be compassionate and empathetic, if not sympathetic. I mean, with some people it's really hard to drum up any sympathy. But I always think to myself, "Gee, that could be me!"

I've had so many wonderful conversations with people that I cannot count them. I'm always puzzled - and honored - when people open up to me. I know that just talking about your problems helps. So I have to be mindful to shut the hell up now and then and just listen. Which is difficult, as anyone who knows me can attest. I'm a talker.

Just this afternoon I had a guy get in the car. Big guy, 40-ish, kind of quiet (turned out he was a cop). Pickup was a looong way from the drop-off; it gave us time to talk. Turned out the place I picked him up at was a marriage counselor's office. He's been trying to reconcile with his ex-wife. They were married for nine years. He cheated, she found out, and that was that. She got the house; he's living in a one-bedroom "bachelor pad." Clearly, he wasn't loving the single life.

There's much more to it, of course, as there usually is. I listened to his story (wincing the entire time) and tried to be supportive. But I felt really bad for the guy. I resisted the urge to offer up any unqualified advice. Heck, he was seeing a professional for that! He didn't need any jibber-jabber from some know-nothing taxi driver. So I gave him my usual, "Have faith, pray a lot, and trust that God will make it work out for the best." It's weak, I know but it's the best I got.

Experiences like that affect me profoundly. I hate to see people in pain, which is why I'm a pilot and not a doctor. I don't know why the cop decided to open up to me. But I'm glad he did, if for no other reason than he made me damn glad that I'm me. Hopefully, it also made him feel a little better about himself. But sometimes you never know.

Kelly said...

There's nothing about your "usual" that's weak, at all. I admire the fact you speak about faith and God to your passengers. And I do think God uses us in the lives of others, if just to listen, smile, or whatever. I've always told my kids (and constantly have to remind myself) that when someone is rude, cuts you off in traffic, takes that turn too slowly... we don't know the reason why, so we should be kind in return. (my example on the slow turn is that they might have a casserole in the floorboard, taking it to a potluck and they don't want it to slosh out!)

Bob Barbanes: said...

Oh Kelly, LOL, great example! Made me laugh. Because it's true! As someone who is on the road quite a bit, I too am often frustrated by the other drivers. And I have to remind myself to give them some slack. Might be some little old lady on her way to church.

When it comes to people, I have been blessed to meet some incredible influencers on my life. Whether bad or good influences, I know that God put them there for a reason. Maybe their presence is only supposed to be temporary, but it is nonetheless important. We should recognize that importance whenever we can. And I try to.