Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

15 July 2018

Home, Sweet...Hell? (It only feels that way)


Well they said it couldn't be done...said it wouldn't be done! But done, it is. I went up to Washington on June 5th, and now I'm home safe and sound(?) in Pensacola here on July 15th. My deal with the Boss was that I'd come up and cover one of the ships that we have a on 30-day contract. Up, cover the job, and then be gone. It wasn't what I wanted, but not for nuthin' the farm manager of the customer for whom I've been working for the last seven years called and put a little pressure on me too. And so I went back.  It's nice to be wanted.

The thirty days went by surprisingly quickly.  As my departure date from Washington approached, my friend Terry remarked that I had not experienced a Florida summer in quite a while, and I might be in for a rude re-acquaintance since it's been so hot and humid this year in the Sunshine State. This is true; the last summer that I was in Florida was 2010.

And sure enough, it's plenty hot here in Pensacola today. The mid-90 degree heat is exacerbated by the 73% humidity, which makes the air feel not just hot but heavy as well. You go outside and the air just weighs down on you. But that's life along the gulf coast – I'm not complaining.  (Up in Washington today, with similar temperatures the humidity is 13%.  Quite the difference!)

Anyway, it's good to be home. Now, all I have to do is get the exhaust system on the motorcycle, get it registered (which I should have done before I left – oops!) and try to get some riding in between rainstorms.

It's going to be a great rest of the summer!

3 comments:

Ed said...

Enjoy your summer. Me personally I think you are certifiably insane for wanting to spend the summer there. It is way too hot here in the Midwest.

Bob said...

Welcome home and congrats on doing the up
and back just as prescribed. Looking forward to more stories.

Bob Barbanes: said...

I was walking out of Walmart yesterday. As soon as I cleared the door the hot/humid air crashed down on me like a grand piano dropped from a C-130. I kind of laughed to myself. Washington is just as hot, perhaps even more so right now. But the humidity is so low that being outside simply feels like being in an oven set to "broil" - as opposed to being in a sauna here in Florida. Interesting contrasts.

Oddly enough, this southern climate suits me better. Or should I say I'm more suited to the climate. Central Washington is just too damn dusty and dry. I always feel...I don't know...not congested, because that's not it...I can't put my finger on it. My nose and throat are just not happy up there. As oppressive as the weather is here in north Florida, I like it better. We humans are, what, 98% water...something like that? Only lizards and things with exoskeletons thrive in the desert.