Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

24 October 2018

Care Overload


The media is constantly bombarding us with things about which we should care deeply. The President did this...the democrats did that...on and on and on. Every bleedin' thing, no matter where in the world it happened or how insignificant it was gets thrown in our face as if it's a matter of utmost urgency. It's all designed to get a rise out of us – one way or the other. But it's having the opposite effect on me.

I don't know about you, but I get to a point of care-overload. My Care-O-Meter pegs and then breaks. And then suddenly I just don't care about anything. I know it's wrong; I know that there are things that we should care about. But lately it's getting harder and harder to tell what. It all comes across as just so much noise and chatter. It feels as though I'm being bludgeoned with a news cudgel.

Friends and family complain about President Trump. He's awful! He's a game show host!  He's a joke!  He's a disgrace!  They wonder incredulously how anybody could still support him? I just shrug. For I don't care. I know just as many people who'd be saying the same things if Hillary had won. The country will survive; it has up until now and not even a Donald Trump could destroy it. And see, if he's really a horrible president, then he'll be voted out of office in the next election. That's how our government works. And I love it.

I guess I'm just getting too old to get really worked-up about stuff anymore. Temporarily annoyed or peeved...yeah. But pissed-off and shout-at-the-TV-angry? Not so much.

3 comments:

Ed said...

Makes two of us!

Bob said...

For me, I don’t know that it’s not caring as much as it’s processing everything through a filter. I don’t blame media for hysteria and hyperbole as much as I do the information overload we are subject to because of the internet. Calm down, everyone. Do your civic duty and vote, get involved as much as you’d like, even run for office if that’s your thing. But we’ll all be OK. The person occupying the Oval Office, the Supreme Court Justices, the majority or minority party in Congress — none of these define you.

Bob Barbanes: said...

Bob, I agree with you about the information overload thing. With the world at our fingertips, it's too much to process. Our brains short-circuit so that our reaction to everything is the same. Every little thing triggers a similar level of emotion. I think we're being conditioned to react a certain way no matter what happens. Everything therefore takes on the importance of a National Tragedy We never experience an event and just shrug our indifferent shoulders anymore.

Well, I do. As I scroll down my News Feed, I see headlines of stories and go, "Don't care...don't care...don't care...", bypassing without even wasting my time by clicking.

And also like you, I advise: just calm down people!