Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

14 January 2021

"Simple" Jobs

I walked into my laundry rooom the other day and thought I'd entered a sauna.  Most of the year, that's not a totally unfamilar sensation here in Florida.  But in January?  Something was wrong.  You've probably already guessed that the dryer hose had become disconnected.  Not a big deal, right?  Pull the dryer out, clean up all the lint and lost socks and other crap behind it, reconnect hose, push dryer back against wall.  Simple, right?  Riiiiight

The hose that connects the dryer to the wall is not that long.  So the dryer cannot be too far away from the wall with both ends connected.  (So there's not a lot of space to work in back there, is what I'm saying.)  There's a plastic cap with a 90-degree angle that slides onto the dryer outlet.  There is a little hole in the thing, providing a way so that it could be secured with a set-screw, I suppose, but there is not a corresponding hole in the outlet on dryer and it would be a bitch drilling one.  So I, like probably most of you, just pushed it on hoping it would stay there.  Then I pushed the other end onto the wall inlet.

Now the only thing to do was get out of there.  Turned out I could not lift my fat ass up and over the dryer.  One complication was the shelf that is installed on the wall above the dryer, which blocked any vertical movement by me.  So I pushed the dryer out from the wall...and the hose disconnected again.  And I'm thinking, "How the hell did we get all this crap together in the first place?"  If I owned a small child, I could hold him/her by the feet and dangle him/her upside down behind the dryer to hook things back up.  No such ruck.  Dammit, being single sucks!

In the end, I did get the hose reconnected and the dryer pushed back into position.  But it was not easy.  It was one of those deceptively "simple" tasks that ends up being a sonovabitch.  At least now all of the wet heat from the dryer goes outside of the house like it should.  And with our daily temperatures down in the 50's, we need all the help we can get!

2 comments:

Ed said...

Been there done that. I have found it much easier to disconnect and drag away the accompanying washer, thus giving room to access the back of the dryer while it is close to the wall, and then replace and reconnect the washer.

Bob Barbanes: said...

Damn, I wish I was smarter :-/

You know Ed, I'm embarrassed to say I never thought of that! It sure enough would've been more work, but that would've let me get behind the dryer. Next time, eh? Thanks for the suggestion!