Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

07 November 2018

Customer Service - And The Lack of It


In last week's installment I wrote about experiences I had involving two companies that are seeking to use technology to reduce the number of actual human employees on their payroll. In the Comments section, my friend Bob opined,

”As for McDonalds... anything to enhance their employees' ability to take an order and get it right would be welcome.”

And there's the rub. That part about getting the order right.

Whether the customer inputs his/her order via a kiosk or tells it to a clerk behind the counter who does the same, the possibility of getting the order screwed-up does not change if the food is cooked/handled/bagged/distributed by a human.

I went into our local McDonalds early one morning recently. The drive-thru line was long, so thinking (erroneously, as usual) that I'd be in and out more quickly, I parked and walked in. I was the only customer at the counter, and one of only three in the whole place.

I ordered a "two burritos meal" by number (let's just say it was a #7). The young girl behind the counter asked if I wanted hash browns with that? I said, patiently but somewhat sarcastically that I believed hash browns came with the #7. She seemed surprised. After ringing me up she grabbed a medium soda cup and plunked in onto the counter. I shook my head and asked for coffee. Again, it was breakfast. She withdrew the soda cup and stopped, looking confused.

Someone eventually appeared from the back of the store, carrying a bag, looking at me and announcing, "One breakfast burrito?" I sighed heavily (as I do) and corrected him. This resulted in a call for the manager, a beleaguered middle-aged woman who looked like she really didn't want to be there. Said manager looked at my receipt, rolled her eyes and told the guy with the bag to get me another burrito and a hash browns.

The cashier turned to the manager and said (and I shit you not), "But he wants a coffee, not a soda."  The manager sighed again and poured me a black coffee. This McDonalds does not put out cream and sugar at the soda/ice tea station. Does nobody drink McDonalds' crappy coffee anymore? I had to give it back to her and ask for cream and sugar to be added. But she had filled the cup so completely that there wasn't any room for cream.

All in all, three humans screwed up every aspect of my McDonalds breakfast - which was inputted correctly into the computer! I should add that on my way out of the store I fished the hash browns out of the bag and tossed them in the trash can by the door because they're horrible. I didn't care about them so much...I just wanted my two damn burritos and a coffee! And that's what I just should have ordered.

I had to laugh. Well, it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Customer service has gotten really bad in the U.S. - not just with fast-food dispensaries but in general. The people behind the counter seem to forget the "service" part of the phrase.

High school kids in America used to be grateful to snag a job, even a part-time entry-level job at a fast-food joint. They used to be proud to work! Not anymore. Now they view jobs as some sort of inconvenient obligation, and all they need do to get paid is show up and socialize with the other employees. Actually doing the job well is not a requirement.

In my Uber the other day I picked up a young woman at her apartment. She was headed to work at the mall. She asked if we could run through the McDonalds drive-thru so she could get a Mocha-something. It was already close to nine a.m. ”What time do you have to be at work?” I asked, knowing we were still a good ten minutes away from the mall. ”Nine,” she replied, "but they give us a fifteen-minute grace period."  

I was dumbfounded...literally speechless. Employees are so bad at being on-time these days that companies are forced to give them “grace periods.” Just try and make it here between ten and ten-fifteen, mm-kay? Un-bleeping-real.

Heck, maybe we're seeing the unintended consequences of having fast-food restaurants at every major intersection in every Podunk town. Maybe there are too many entry-level, minimum wage jobs.  Trouble is, here in dinky Pensacola we have so many fast-food places that they all can't even stay in business, much less keep an adequate staff of employees.  Google Maps shows eleven McDonalds right here in the Pensacola area.

The Hardee's (on a busy street right near the airport) closed and moved up the same street to a shopping center with a Winn-Dixie supermarket. The new location doesn't seem to do much better than the old. The Arby's which was right next door to Hardee's also closed but did not relocate. (I suspect that the Arby's chain of restaurants may not survive. None of them seem to be doing well when I drive by.  Or it may get conjoined and siamesed with another fast-food place like so many Taco Bell's and KFC's are now.)

The Burger King on the mall property! closed and a brand-new one was built just up the road not far from where the Hardee's and Arby's failed. The shiny, new, modern-looking BK store just recently opened.  It's right near my house.  Every time I pass it looks ominously deserted. The store is open and yet it has big banners outside announcing that they do walk-in hiring on Monday and Tuesdays. Didn't they staff-up before the Grand Opening?

Fast-food franchises used to be gold mines. Has the tide turned? Will lower sales volume and ever-increasing labor costs result in a downturn in that industry? I kind of hope so. More competition for the available jobs might make the people who actually need them and get them be more appreciative of having them. And then maybe, when I walk up to the counter they might say, "Good morning! May I help you?" instead of just staring at me blankly and then getting my order wrong.

3 comments:

Ed said...

I have two girls and am always having people comment on how well behaved they are and asking how I get them to be so helpful to others. I always have a hard time answering that because I'm just teaching them to behave as my parents taught me to behave and to help others. I think a lot of what is wrong with the youth these days is due to their parenting or lack there of.

I think the fast food phenomenon in Pensacola is a regional or perhaps an urban thing. In our area, the only places with long lines are the fast food places. It is the sit down places that can't stay open for any length of time. But I suspect a lot of that has to do with living in one of the poorest parts of the nation. Whenever a new sit down place opens up, all I see on social media is how high priced their $8 burger is when McDonalds (or name your fast food place) sells them for $4. Nobody understands the other costs going into that burger that make it $8.

Bob Barbanes: said...

Ed, your daughters sound like a joy, and I'm sure you're very proud of them. If anyone asks you how you get them to behave and act as they do, I'd simply shrug and explain it as you just did: "I just taught them as my parents taught me." You must leave unsaid the inevitable, disconcerting conclusion that maybe they didn't do the same.

Now, restaurants... I don't pretend to understand the restaurant business, especially the vagaries and fickleness of public taste and preferences. I read and see that Subway's have apparently fallen out of favor. And although I keep hearing how badly the Olive Garden is doing, the one here is always packed - so it seems that Pensacolians haven't gotten the memo that the OG is out of style.

You may be right about the economies of different parts of the country. Here in Pensacola, we certainly have a lot of sit-down restaurants, and they seem to do pretty well. (Errr...except for IHOP; two local IHOP's owned by the same franchisee closed their doors recently.) Owning a Chinese buffet restaurant is like having a license to print money, evidently. We loves us some "Chinese" food down here! Breakfast places do surprisingly and consistently well.

The fast-food restaurants struggle, unless there are golden arches on your sign. I stopped in at the McDonalds near the Navy Base the other day. They're renovating and installing those new kiosks. I didn't get a chance to order anything with them though as I was only there to use the restroom. No wonder the lines for the drive-thru get longer and longer: People want to order from a human!

Not to be racist, but there are a lot of blacks in this town (as in most southern towns). Yet we had a KFC in a "bad" neighborhood fail, followed shortly by the closing of the Church's Chicken joint two blocks away! Maybe the explanation is that Walmart sells fried chicken and it's pretty damn good! Maybe people are just getting it there now?

In the time since I wrote the blogpost above, I've driven by the new Burger King a number of times - it's right on the main drag near the house. And I've never seen it crowded. Unless business picks up drastically, I can't see it staying open for too long. I hope the franchisee hasn't made a huge mistake.

Whatever...I just wish that the people waiting on me, whether they be behind a counter or at my table, would smile and at least act as though they were happy to see me. After all, we customers do pay their salaries - something I think these kids tend to not realize.

Bob said...

So funny, right after your post about McDonalds and the digital ordering, my daughter was in town celebrating her 30th birthday and said she wanted to go to MIckey D’s for breakfast - she loves sausage biscuits there! So in we traipsed and fvdfd was the big kiosk where you could place your order. I must say it all worked beautifully and the new and improved McDonalds really was new and improved.

Interesting you don’t mention Chick FIL-A which I think is a cut above across the board when it comes to traditional “fast food.” Still not my first choice when I need to grab something to eat, but better than most of the others in my opinion, for both food and service.