Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

22 November 2018

Happy Thanksgiving 2018

Well it's finally here - the day I've been waiting for! Yes of course Christmas is important to many of us, but Thanksgiving is a holiday that everyone, even atheists can love. Because today we don't just 'remember' to be thankful (we should do that every day)...no, no, today we *celebrate* our gratitude! And we do that by gathering around our friends and family in a joyous feast of fellowship and love.

Back in the 1980's my parents lived in Manhattan. For a number of years my mom organized a big Thanksgiving Day dinner for the elderly and shut-ins of the parish. It was held in the basement of Our Lady of Good Counsel Church. Big crowd...multiple turkeys...side dishes galore...desserts... Even though she didn't do all the cooking, it was still a tremendous amount of work for mom. Looking back, I don't know how she did it. All of us kids pitched in. I'd drive around, scooping up those who wanted to attend but needed a ride. It instilled in me the knowledge that feeding people is one of the greatest things we humans of any belief system can do. To this day I enjoy having people over and putting on a big meal - especially now but even when it's not the holidays.

And so Thanksgiving provides me an opportunity to cook! However, sadly, the number of people at the house today will be smaller than usual - smaller than I'd hoped. And though it won't be with my actual family who are all still up in New York, it will be with people who've become my family here in Florida. And they've all generously offered to pitch in and contribute something for our meal today, greatly easing my tasks. Do not call it "workload" for it is not.

Obviously, not everyone can be a part of a big, family get-together today. Hey, I've spent plenty of Thanksgivings by myself, eating a cold-cut turkey sandwich. That has never bothered me. Life ain't always perfect. But we should recognize that we all have blessings...things to be thankful for. And I surely do! Even my friends and extended family down in Panama City, Florida where Hurricane Michael recently hit and did so much damage...even those people are having a big Thanksgiving meal. For them it is especially poignant this year. You could forgive them if they didn't feel particularly thankful that they've lost so much. But we're humans; we stay positive.

Whether or not you have people to celebrate this holiday with or maybe you're spending it on your own, I hope you do take the opportunity to celebrate your blessings and have a wonderful, warm and Happy Thanksgiving.

I wish you could be here with us.

3 comments:

Bob said...

I think a Thanksgiving at your place would be a blast! Hope it was all you hoped it would be. We combined family and friends for a total of 17. Early Wednesday afternoon my wife, the chief orchestrator, sliced her thumb and ended up with a nasty wound that couldn’t be stitched, only bandaged, with strict orders not to get it wet and NOT TO COOK! So it was all hands on deck as she gave us orders the next 24 hours. Somehow, miraculously, it all came together and it was lovely. Much for which to be thankful.

Ed said...

I always enjoy Thanksgiving and just being around family. Our traditions have changed many times over the years. We've gone hiking and had weenie roasts to big extended family feeds to the past several years just a small event down on my parents farm. This year we didn't have anything at all since my mom was on her deathbed, but we still managed a small get together a couple days later. I have no idea what next year will bring but I do know it will be different and I will welcome it when it arrives.

Bob Barbanes: said...

Jeez Ed, I'm so terribly sorry y'all had to go through that right during the holidays. It does seem to happen that way, no? It's always sad. Back in the 1980's my grandmother, who had been living with us at the end, picked Christmas Day to leave this earth. I felt bad for my mom, because it spoiled Christmas for her after

Under your circumstances, Ed, it must have been hard for everyone to focus on being happy. Hopefully next year will be better - but as you say, it's absolutely going to be different.

As for our friend, "other" Bob above, he and his wacky family always do non-traditional things on the holidays. I'm afraid that I can't be that avante-garde. Having the boring turkey dinner gives me great comfort and connection to my past. Bob, you think my dinner would be a blast? Beg to differ! It is I who'd love to be a part of yours ;) I'm sorry your wife got injured in the line of duty, but it probably gave her some joy in being able to stand back and..."orchestrate" as you say. I wish I could do that, but I'm too much of a control freak to try.

And now...what to do about Christmas...?

The point is that we do try to be thankful for what we've got