Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

10 September 2019

Sand Dunes, Sea Oats, and Salty Dogs


Terry and I are very different.  Perhaps it is those differences that make us such good friends.  I mentioned in a previous post that while he and I were out on an early-morning motorcycle ride along the beach, we stopped to take some pictures of our bikes. Terry, overcome with the beauty of our surroundings began composing a poem. In my post I sort of scoffed that I'm not much for poetry. But I do respect it, I suppose.

The road Terry and I were riding on is a little barrier island that connects Pensacola and Navarre Beaches. It is home to Gulf Islands National Seashore. Aside from a few parking lots, it's a pretty remote and desolate area, devoid of development. There's little traffic. It kind of has the feel of an undiscovered no-man's-land.

Now, I'm generally not a romantic, introspective or sensitive guy. I guess I'm too jaded to be really wowed by anything anymore. But! Hang on... I will admit that sometimes you just have to stop and smell the sea oats, to coin a phrase. And if you do...if you just stop, and take a moment to stare out over the Gulf of Mexico, take in the clean, fresh salt air and listen to the waves lapping gently at the water's edge, you cannot help but be moved by the incredible beauty and tranquility of the place. Even a crusty old guy like me can appreciate that. As awesome as the experience was, it did not, however, inspire me to wax poetic.

Terry, on the other hand...well, like I say, we're different.  I mentioned that he had started to compose a poem on the side of the road there.  Later on, he posted the finished version on his Facebook page.


Sand Dunes, Sea Oats, and Salty Dogs
                             by Terry May

Sometimes I wanna go somewhere that's nowhere,
A place without a name,
Where the sky is bluer,
The water is clearer,
And the sun dances on the surface
Like a million sparkling diamonds,
Enough to make giddy girl giggle,
Don't dare to ask me where,
I'll tell you a Pirate's riddle,
It's not on Pensacola Beach or Navarre,
It's somewhere in the middle,
That's exactly where you are,
Somewhere on the National Seashore,
Don't blink or you will go too far!

No comments: