Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

30 September 2019

Wacky Automotive News

I like to call myself a “car guy.” I’ve always liked cars…worked on them, etc. But I admit that as time goes on it’s harder and harder to keep up on all of the new vehicles that get introduced.

My friend Matt (who actually is a car guy) asked me what I thought of the new, mid-engine Chevy Corvette, and I kind of drew a blank. Yes, I’d certainly seen pictures of it and the specifications, and I’d read all of the breathless descriptions of it in the car magazines. But I really had no opinion on it. I’ve never really been “into” Corvettes. Maybe I’m not such a car guy after all.  Ah, well.

The Really Big News of the automotive world in the last couple of weeks is that Volkswagen is…wait for it :::drumroll::: changing their iconic logo! Everybody knows the “VW” logo, right? It’s been staring at us from the front of Microbuses, Golfs and Jettas since forever. It’s gone through a couple of very minor permutations over the years, but has always stayed basically the same. Oh, and none of the other evolutions of the logo garnered any attention from the press.

Now, here in 2019, for some reason Volkswagen decided that they needed to update the logo. Accordingly, they made a big announcement. The obviously-bored automotive press, seized on this news and reported it with a seriousness befitting the death of General Motors (should that ever happen).

Here’s the old one.


And here’s the new one.  



Not much difference, you say?  True.  But look more closely and sharp-eyed readers will see that the space between the "V" and the "W" is larger on the new logo.  And there is a space at the bottom of the "legs" of the "W" and the surrounding circle.  Completely different!  Volkswagen says that the old, three-dimensional logo was not computer friendly, whatever that means.

I guess that for Germans, radical change comes a little bit at a time.  Baby steps, Wolfgang, baby steps.

2 comments:

Ed said...

If one must like Corvettes to be a car guy, I'm not a car guy either. I've never had an interest in them, or Porsche or many similar "fast" cars of the modern era. I'd rather have a muscle car from the late 60's. If I had to get a more modern car, perhaps a Dodge Viper. I'm probably too practical to be considered a car guy since I happily drive a 2017 Toyota Sienna.

Bob Barbanes: said...

I know what you mean, Ed. I used to be up on all the specs and models and stuff, but now it's like...meh. They're just cars. I kind of hate admitting that, but I guess I've found other things to occupy my mind and don't have the spare brainpower to devote to cars anymore. The new Corvette surely is cool, but don't ask me how much horsepower the engine has. In fact...come to think of it...as much as I love my little Volkswagen, don't ask me how much horsepower it has!