Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

08 February 2020

Down And Dirty Politics In The Age of Trump

"No one is above the law!!" Jeez-Louise, how many times have we heard that? A kazillion. And we're still hearing it. "No one is above the law!!" And yet...and yet! When the House of Representatives went about impeaching President Trump, they didn't charge him with any actual...you know...crime.

My left-leaning friends go, "Wellll….he didn't need to actually violate a specific law...his actions were enough of a violation of our Constitution to warrant impeachment."

Oh yeah? Then why all this bullshit about how, "No one is above the law!!" If it's not about violating a law, then what's it about? It's about how democrats hate Donald Trump and will do anything to stop him and remove him from office. We Americans aren't stupid; we see what was going on.

"Obstruction of Congress" and "Abuse of Power" were simply insufficient charges to have Trump removed from office, and the Senate agreed. Republican senators are not stupid, either. To say that they are would mean that the Democrat senators are stupid as well. If Republican senators actually felt - like Mitt Romney did - that President Trump did anything worthy of impeachment, they would have voted that way. But they did not.

Here's the thing. The Democrats are all acting like the world did not exist before Donald Trump was elected in 2016. But let's remember: Nancy Pelosi has been around forever. She was still Nancy Pelosi before Trump (i.e. mean, petty, vindictive, etc.). Chuck Schumer has always been a huge asshole. Trust me, I lived in New York and remember Chuckie when he was a mere State Assemblyman.

Donald Trump did not simply fall out of the sky and magically win over the hearts and minds of the American people. Our political system has invented...scratch that, required him. The Democrats are just as responsible for Trump's success as are Republicans. 

People were sick of politics as usual - we realized that Democrat or Republican, it did not matter which one was in the White House.  I did not like Obama - and I could not bear the thought of a Clinton presidency. On the other hand, there were no Republican candidates who were worth a crap either. 

Nobody in the political establishment (or the media!) ever thought Trump would or could win. The rest is history.  Trump took off the mask...took off the gloves, and showed us just how "down and dirty" politics really is.  I will tell you this: Nothing will ever be the same.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

If I learned anything through this impeachment debacle, it's that politicians are (almost, note Romney) always partisan. I think they seldom truly consider the issues OR their constituents, other than whether it will get them re-elected again. It all seems to be about party loyalty. Of course I could be entirely wrong, since I try my hardest to avoid all of it... but short of becoming a total hermit, it's pretty much unavoidable.

I voted for Gary Johnson last time around. Who knows what I'll do this fall. I have too many other things to worry about before that rolls around...

Bob Barbanes: said...

I think you're right, Kelly. I think our Democrat representatives and senators absolutely believe that all of their constituents feel the same way as they do and are behind them 100%. They may be mistaken! Even democrats voters have tired of all this impeachment crap. They excuse what the House is doing because most Liberals do hate Donald Trump on a personal level. But even though Trump cannot take credit for all of it (although he does), the country is. doing pretty well now - the numbers don't lie.

I may not be the most perceptive guy, but what I see is that the Democratic presidential candidates all focus on what's wrong with America. They talk about all of the things they need to fix - and are going to! Joe Biden has been in politics for how long? And *now* he talks about all the great things he's going to do if he's elected president? What have you been doing all this time, Joe? What were you doing when you were Obama's right-hand man?

It gets fatiguing, because (I believe) most Americans don't sympathize with those problems the Democrats talk about. Yeah, health care is expensive, and I wish they'd fix that. Obama's (Un)Affordable Care Act certainly didn't make me want to sign right up. I took the IRS penalty instead because it was cheaper. It wasn't until the government stepped in, subsidized my monthly payment and brought rates down to a reasonable level that I did.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. But I am as tired of partisan politics as you are.