Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

11 March 2020

Best Job Ever

At four a.m., the streets of Pensacola, Florida are empty. There are lots of trees, and streetlights are few and far between, so the city is spooky-dark. There are few other cars out.  No police…don’t know where they disappear to. 

Smooth jazz plays from the radio, volume low. It’s not that I like smooth jazz, but it seems to fit the dead-of-night mood. I drive around slowly, slouched against the door, one hand on top of the steering wheel, waiting for the Uber app on my phone to *ping* signaling me that someone needs a ride.

At night there’s a sense of aloneness…of isolation. You feel like a night watchman, or a guardian, prowling around while everyone else sleeps peacefully, snug in their beds.

I know a lot of people like the night time. It’s quiet…gives one time - and space - to think. 
Not me. I’m not a big fan of the night. My motto is: ”Nothing good ever happens after midnight.” Words to live by. I normally don’t drive at night. I'm a daytime Uber driver.  On Fridays and Saturdays, I will stay out a little later, up until around nine o’clock if business is hopping. I’ll bring people out to the bars, but I ain’t pickin’ ‘em later. No one has ever gotten sick in my car; I aim to keep that record intact.


However, during the week I start early. I’m an old guy, and I wake up early to…well, let’s just say that there is a certain physiological need that plagues men of a certain age. And I am of that age. When I wake up, I’m up – there’ s usually no going back to sleep. So I just get dressed, make some coffee and get the day going. I’ll turn the Uber and Lyft apps on around four a.m. – or maybe five if I’m being lazy. There are always trips. Either I’ll just sit in the house and wait for them, or if I’m bored or need gas, I’ll go out cruising. The latter is not cost-effective because it means I’m putting “deadhead” (i.e. unpaid) miles on the car.

As I said, I don’t like driving at night. The night vision and depth perception aren’t what they used to be. It takes a long time now for these old eyes to adapt to the dark. The good thing about driving the really early-morning shift is that I know it’ll soon be getting light out. And I like watching the sun come up. It’s always invigorating: The promise of a new day!

By four a.m. the drunks have long been kicked out of the bars, so I don’t get them. But I still get called to the bars to pick up the staff who’ve closed up. Some of them are seriously drunk! Evidently bar workers like to hang out and drink after the customers are gone. The good news is that they tip well. Along with them are the travelers catching the 6:00 a.m. departures from the hilariously-named Pensacola International Airport – all of the airlines have these super-early flights. Our dinky airport is incredibly busy at 4:30 - 5:00 in the morning.  

I make fun because there are no international flights into or out of Pensacola.  We are, however, what is called an Airport of Entry, meaning that U.S. Customs is available for private flights coming in from Canada or Mexico.  Our former mayor noted that fact and decided that we could legitimately change the name of our airport from "Regional" to "International."   Sounds much better, right?

Next are the early-birds who have to be at work before everyone else. There is a woman I’ve taken a few times who goes to a Hardee’s long before they open where she does, indeed, make the biscuits from scratch, which I thought was just an empty commercial slogan.

Finally come the “normal people,” who Uber to their regular jobs at the various area credit unions, hospitals and businesses. More and more I take people to the new bunch of so-called “CBD” dispensaries that have cropped up since Florida legalized medical marijuana. One morning, I had a rider who was really late for work. I foolishly asked if he was going to get in trouble.  And he goes, ”Naw man, they’re really chill."  I mentally slapped my forehead: Heh, of course they are.

If I’ve hit my revenue goal, I’m home by nine or ten in the morning. That leaves the rest of the day for goofing-off. If it’s been a slack morning, or I’m just bored, I’ll go over and sit in the airport queue, which I normally try to avoid.

I’ll tell you, this Uber thing is the best job I’ve ever had – not the most highly-paid job, mind you, but the best job.

6 comments:

Ed said...

I have old man-itis too but mostly just go for a walk or read the paper while waiting on the sun. I like to drive around when it is quiet out and what you are describing does have a certain attractiveness to it but I'm too much of a germaphobe to regularly pick up strangers and put them in my vehicle. Especially now with flu and Covid-19 in peak form. Now if I could have an enclosed cab with everyone else separated from me, I might consider it.

Kelly said...

This was a pleasant post to read in the midst of all this insanity.

It's not necessarily a man thing (though I do understand the man connection, being married to one). Getting older in general has increased my nightly visits. Fortunately I can almost always go right back to sleep, sometimes to the exact same dream.

Bob Barbanes: said...

Funny you mention that, Ed...about flu season and all. During my winters here in Pensacola, I've driven a taxi since 2010 and then Uber since the middle of 2018. And I've never gotten sick (e.g. cold, flu) from any passenger. How do I know this? Because I never get sick! I'm lucky, I guess...maybe I have a good immune system, but I just don't get sick. So I'm not too worried that someone is going to give me the coronavirus. But who knows...

And Kelly, it is interesting that you can go back to sleep and back into the same dream. My dreams always evaporate immediately after I open my eyes. Often, I can tell that I was dreaming, but damned if I can remember what it was about.

And as far as getting up in the middle of the night...some of my same-age friends report multiple trips to the bathroom during the time they should be sleeping. I wonder how this affects the quality of sleep they're (not) getting? Me, I can usually sleep for a good five or six hours before needing to (ahem) get up. Which is all I need.

Bob said...

My son’s territory recently expanded to Pensacola and he’s an active Uber and Lyft customer. So who knows, you might be giving him a ride one of these days.

Bob Barbanes: said...

Well Bob, this is a small town in many ways. I would not be surprised if I did give him a ride. Tell him to be on the lookout for a, um, "talkative" guy in a silver VW Jetta ;)

Blog27999 said...

Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

Over 160 000 women and men are losing weight with a simple and SECRET "liquids hack" to burn 2lbs each and every night as they sleep.

It is proven and it works on anybody.

Here's how to do it yourself:

1) Take a clear glass and fill it up half full

2) Now use this strange hack

and you'll become 2lbs thinner as soon as tomorrow!